A Christmas classic! I like the spiciness of this recipe. For a milder ginger cookie try leaving out the cloves and nutmeg.
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup molasses
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Using a mixer, in a large bowl cream together sugar and butter. Mix in molasses and egg.
2. In another bowl mix together the dry ingredients (flour, cinnamon, baking powder,
ginger, cloves, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt)
3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients mixing throughly.
3. Cover and place cookie dough in refrigerator 1 hour.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F.
5. On a lightly floured surface work with half the dough (leave rest in fridge) and roll to 1/8 inch thick.
Using floured cookie cutters, cut dough into shapes. Reroll trimmings and continue to cut shapes.
Place cookies 1/2 inch apart on greased cookie sheets. (Use a spatula to help keep the shapes from breaking!)
If dough becomes too soft to work with place back in fridge to cool.
6. Bake 8 minutes,or until very lightly browned.
Transfer cookies to racks to cool completely and then decorate as desired!
Makes 24-36 cookies depending on cutter sizes.